Thursday 15 November 2018

New Wave Film Brief

BRIEF:

For my new wave film, I will be incorporating the knowledge of my contextual studies (unit 1) and creating a film that conforms with the second Hong Kong new wave. For influence, I will be taking my inspiration from two of Wong Kar Wai's films - In The Mood For Love and Chungking Express, due to the subliminal messages it withholds within the narrative.

Within lighting, we plan to film around the afternoon time as one of the conventions of Chungking Express variates between night and day, it tends to get dark around 5pm, therefore this will give me a transition, something I can use metaphorically which will represent the handover of Hong Kong.

Equipment wise, I will not be using a tripod purposely. I want to recreate the smudge motion technique effectively as shown in Chungking Express, to represent the disorientated reality of Hong Kong and how life was portrayed, furthermore, I find the handheld view a more personal approach towards the new wave so therefore I will be basing a narrative over a particular set of events.

The Camera settings will be variable due to the weather changes, as a general consciences I plan to use either ISO 100/200 for daylight shots with a wide opening of the aperture (lower f/stop), with the shutter speed at 1/50 due to the filming being done in 25fps - this should work out as a well balanced shot. Pull focus will be used as a technique between the double frame and the subject.

Weather Forecast for Coventry
Framing will be used repeatedly throughout my new wave, this is due to the endless shots shown in 'In The Mood For Love'. Wong uses this device in his own films as a way to represent the entrapment the citizens felt by both society and the Chinese government at the time. I want to portray this within my project somehow, therefore when filming, I will be filming a various amount of clips with props such as fences, to reiterate the ideology of entrapment.

Liberation of the camera from the tripod as apart of the technical conventions will help me in my new wave film. A combination of handheld shots and cloudy/sunsets convey a sense of realism as many new wave directors aim to break away from conventional film making. I believe this will further project the stylistic influences of Wong Kar Wai.

PLANNING:


The location on where I will be filming is Coventry, with additional clips being shot in Digbeth, Birmingham. I looked at the weather report as an initial basis for any health and safety requirements to look out for. On a precautional basis, I think it will be best to bring the camera bag with me when filming, so if it rains, i can put it away before any damage can occur internally. I will also dress appropriately to avoid any health issues, this including wearing jeans, jumper, jacket with hood & leather trainers.

In terms of filming ideas, I will be travelling by public transport - this creates an instant stimuli as i could focus upon the idea of movement (could lead to further metaphorical meanings i.e: the handover). I think the best time to shoot this would be at night (so on the way home), in order to conform with not only Wong's existing techniques within the new wave but also to emphasise the idea about how citizens felt in the dark about the 'change' in their lifestyles.

Soundtrack is something I am unsure about, however, I want it to be similar to the likes of In The Mood For Love, purely on the basis of the fact that if I went for a westernised popular song, such as Wong does in Chungking Express, copyright claims could be an issue I face when uploading to YouTube afterwards. The 'In The Mood For Love' soundtrack offers a very mysterious feel when partaking in synaesthesia, offering a calm yet jalting experience to the viewer - due to the sharp strokes on the cello. I plan to find a soundtrack suitable to capture this feel.

The subjects face will only be shown in a reflection, an ideology towards how HK residents viewed themselves, and made themselves look a particular fashion (like in In The Mood For Love). I also want to use this device as part of the narrative, watching the world change around them, incl. reaction shots.

Within editing, I plan to experiment with Chinese subtitles (Cantonese) for quotes from some of Wong's films that withhold some significance to the handover/mood of that period.
This includes:
"Find out too much about a person, and you lose interest"
"I like loud music, it stops me from thinking"
"If my memory of her has an expiration date, let it be 10,000 years"

No comments:

Post a Comment