Tuesday 18 September 2018

Lighting

Lighting in film and photography is key to help convey expressionism of the genre. The most traditional lighting set up is called 'three-point lighting' technique, it consists of a Key Light, which is usually aimed directly in front of the subject & the brightest, dominant light. Following this is a fill light, which is used to fill in any shadows or contrast caused by the key light. Finally the back light is often traditionally used behind the subject, separating them from the background.

Leading from this idea, photographers and directors often diverse these roles and experiment to create scenes with high-key and low-key lighting. High-key lighting possess a high range of white and bright colours, containing minimal blacks or mid-tones. Low-key lighting however possess shadows, deep blacks and contrast - the opposite of high-key.

I experimented a numerous variety of techniques and experimented with positioning of the light in the videos embedded below.

Edge Lighting:
In terms of lighting, edge lighting which uses a hard light to cast shadows upon the subject, commonly used upon the face where half of the face is blacked out by shadow. I demonstrated this in the studio, by positioning my light at a 90 degree angle - to the left of my subject, this caused a harsh contrast with shadows across the right side of her face. This technique is often used to allow the audience to take a mysterious reading of the character/subject and to question significance. I feel in my example this came across well.

I also tried to experiment with natural lighting, although the technique was demonstrated well. I realised that the camera was not in focus of the subject, it is important I balance and focus on all elements of cinematography equally in the future, so I do not make this mistake again - such as a checklist for future reference etc.


Rembrandt:
Rembrandt lighting is often used in portraiture, it creates a natural looking setting whilst also creating a triangle like shape on the face, ultimately originating from Rembrandt Harmazsoon van Rijn, a dutch painter who used these triangle like shapes in his painings between the nose and the under-eye. I demonstrated this in the studio, following the diagram attached on the right - keeping the light between 25 and 45 degrees from the camera. It is also worth noting that it is worth using a reflector as it helps preserve the detail in the face that may be lost without. Overall I found following this technique difficult as the positioning of the light source has to be precise; but it was achievable and I am happy with how the image turned out.





Butterfly:
Butterfly lighting is often used in portraiture, it is where the camera is place directly above and centre to the subject, the name originates from the technique creating a butterfly shaped shadow below the nose. I demonstrated this following the diagram to the left. I feel the outcome was okay, however the shadows were not completely visable and on reflection, I think this is because of where I positioned my light as it was not high enough, I will consider positoning of the subject lower to justify this in future.





Experimentation with lights in the studio:
I wanted to see what it would look like visually if I positioned two studio lights to either side of the face, I was aiming to create a shadow in the nose area. I did this on a white backdrop and directed the camera facing the subject. This turned out okay, however, I feel the effect wasn't created despite the lamp level being on the lowest setting on both lights. If I were to use this method in the future, I would either try it on the highest settings, to see if that creates the contrast I would like or have the subject place behind a black background.





I also used an LED light with Barn-doors to create partial lighting without any other lighting source available, I attempted to use fingers also to try and create some shadows. This didn't turn out as successful. I feel that part of the reason for this is due to the lack of shadows being created with the light (which is later justified+5 seconds into the video). Doing this again, I would experiment with more probs to create shadow, such as gobos (GOes Before OpticS).



Low-key lighting:
With lowkey lighting, I knew that contrast would be important. I therefore chose to shoot indoors with little artificial/natural light source, I found that a dark corridor was best in this situation as the little natural light that seeped through the windows offered a perfect base for shadow.  I then developed my ideas and decided to try silhouettes, with the subject blocking the light. I positioned the subject with her back facing the camera as I wanted to create a quick clip from a horror movie, where a character sees a silhouette of a person, and walks up to it. I feel when filming this, this turned out okay, however there were improvements that could have been made; an example being that I forgot to use a tripod which caused the video to be a little shaky. I could have also experimented with led's to create a more defined shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment