Monday 7 January 2019

BRIEF & PLAN FOR PRODUCTION - FILM STUDIES (UNIT 11)

REVIEWING THE BRIEF & PLAN

When reviewing the Assessment for Film Studies, I decided to opt for the option of creating a short film, applying one of the theories we have studied for the unit. I decided to focus upon Lacan's mirror stage theory, as I feel it will be easier to articulate into film with the resources I currently possess.  I feel that I have a clear understanding of knowledge upon the Mirror Stage theory, and therefore I feel that it would be easier to articulate through cinema, especially if I relate a storyline to personal experiences.

I've decided after a stimuli (which will be discussed below) that i would like to focus upon the idea of mental illness', specifically depression and other emotionally distraught diagnosis'. I feel this would articulate the mirror stage particularly well, due to the way depression can make someone feel; "experience depressed mood, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy, and poor concentration." (Mental Health Foundation, 2019). As someone who has dealt with Depression and other mental illness', I believe I can articulate this into cinema with the sense of realism. 

@will.barlowmediaproduction (2018), "The Aftermath" INSTAGRAM
Stimuli came to me from revisiting my A-level Photography project, in which I focused upon my own experiences with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I knew initially, that I didn't want to recreate this as it would lack creativity, and wouldn't relate to the brief. However, I found some photographs that would incorporate into this production, that I would like to recreate. An example of this is this image to the left. I constructed this image using two battery powered LED lights, a DSLR camera set in Manual with the Shutter Speed set extremely slow (about 5 seconds). I constructed this image in my bedroom at night to reinforce the preferred reading. I wanted viewers to see that the person lying in their bed was stuck in a state of shock/depression, where they couldn't leave their bedroom due to their mental illness preventing them, they felt safe in only that confined space. The woman in the image is representative of hope, a mother figure if you will; guiding support - offering warmth and safety (also reinforced in the mise-en scene as the lamp next to her is in the shape of a home, with tungsten warm light out). The subject in the bed has his back turned as he doesn't know what to trust, and is stuck in isolation, visually depictable by the cool toned lighting hitting his face (from the LED's).

Incorporating this into video will be difficult, due to the shutter speed issue and different techniques I will have to experiment with, however, if I keep the lighting the same, and experiment with either slow motion or the 'smudge-motion' technique, it may be proven successful. I can apply the image above as a base stimuli due to the similarities it withholds with the symptoms of depression.

In separate posts, I will write up a script using the appropriate cinema format, location research and an equipment list.

Bibliography:

Mental Health Foundation, Accessed 5th January 2019, [online] "Depression | Mental Health Foundation" https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/d/depression

Will Barlow, 25th April 2018, [online], "The Aftermath: Part 2" - https://www.instagram.com/p/BiAfs4thXF6/

No comments:

Post a Comment