Wednesday 27 February 2019

QUESTIONNAIRE & ANALYSIS OF RESULTS

Create your own user feedback survey

I used Survey Monkey to create a questionnaire which will be available to people by the use of a computer/smartphone. I sent this link to my personal Facebook (which has family members and friends) to gain a wide demographic of people; I wanted my questionnaire to not be biased in any shape or form, main priority being age group/upbringing/location etc. After two weeks of the post being published, I received 14 responses - that have been taken seriously upon completion (I deleted certain responses which were proven irrelevant/immature).

I based my survey upon my previous ideas of post modernism, and how music videos made in the past decade have been influenced/recreational of older technological advances. This being: green screens, experimental footage, older VHS filters etc. I also based my survey upon the two song choices I have been batting between; 'Blue' and 'Handmade Heaven' by Marina - I presented this in two different questions, one offering Synaesthesia as a research method for myself and the other being 'Do you like this song, and do you prefer it to the other & why?'. Questions also included was music video genre preference, music genre preference, preferable source of music video and preference on editing techniques; to see what an audience would typically like to see and find visually pleasing in ones chosen music video.

Screenshots of all data recorded will be presented in bar charts/A selection of written results - from the 'Analyse Results' tool on Survey Monkey.

Q1.
To help guide the genre of my music video set up, I asked the recipient to choose their favourite genre of music video. I followed Andrew Goodwin's 'Dancing in the Distraction Factory' research to conclude a list of genres, alongside an other option if the consumer believes there is a different anotherThis chart tells us that 50% of people prefer a conceptual/experimental approach to music videos, whilst 40-45% prefer a studio performance. From this, I have decided that a hybrid of the two genres would be the best way forward as it satisfies both audiences, near to no other genres was voted therefore were not considered.

Q2.
The music genre that is most preferable as shown from my research is Alternative, with R&B as a close second, tieing in with other - the genre mentioned within this was either Rap or Metal. This supports my current research as both of the Marina songs are 'Alternative Pop'. This question was pretty much irrelevant to my research as I had song choices in mind, however, I can say this has reassured my song idea, rather than having to oppose and change song genre.

Q3.

This question was added to my research out of curiosity for the music industry. As it is known that "MTV will forever be synonymous with the pop music scene of the 1980s and 1990s" (Cawley, 2015). The chart conveys the reinforcement that music videos are streamed nowadays on sites/apps such as YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music etc, opposing to the 1/10 that still seek videos from music channels. I believe part of this shift is due to the technological progression we have had from the 80's to now and also the idea that MTV does not continuously play music videos anymore "MTV isn’t keen on playing music videos these days" (Cawley, 2015). This question again was irrelevent to my research as I would be posting my video on a streaming service anyhow, I feel if I were to ask this question, I would ask the question in what content in the video would entice you to watch it on a particular platform.

Q4.

All of my responses were in favour of postmodern music videos which supports my concept, including "I like the vintage style because it gives the video a timeless appearance" and "yes because it looks pretty and brings back the way videos used to look", however, due to Postmodernism being such a wide definition, I feel that this question could have been difficult for an average consumer to understand, even though I briefly explained it. If I were to ask this question again, I would ask a consumer to watch a specific music video with the 'post modern style' i want, tell me what they thought of it, and if they liked the style.

Q5.
I asked viewers - blindly, to participate in an exercise of Synaesthesia, to allow various ideas to be presented for a final project, someone quotes "psychodelic colours" which sounds like a cool idea, I could use this as a background perhaps in post production, if I use a green screen. Another person stated "floating motion comes to mind", which could be an experimental concept that I can experiment with in filming/editing, creating a fluidity. I chose the song 'Blue' by Marina as that is the song I was leaning towards doing, however, later on in the questionnaire I did discuss 'Handmade Heaven'. 

Q6.

Editing techniques can be used in conjunction, however, I didn't want to confuse the recipient when asking this question. Editing to the beat is the most favourable editing technique, which I plan to use; otherwise, this could be too displeasing to the viewer of my MV. 20% of people like Digitised Effects/Green Screen Technology in music videos, therefore, as it is the second most popular option, I will consider using this in my own, due to the relevance of my previous research. The only problem with this question in particular would be the lack of multiple choice and the fact that the consumer might not understand what certain editing techniques are.

Q6.

I linked the song 'Handmade Heaven' as I wanted to see whether the recipients of the questionnaire preferred this to Blue. Although some said they liked the song, most preferred Blue, due "to it's opposing lyrics" to the beat (presumable meaning of response) and that there is "more visual stimuli to be offered" - I will take that judgment, as myself, even with my moodboards, was struggling with ideas for that particular song - especially differentiating to the original MV. This question has consolidated the idea of continuing with Blue as my music video.

Q7.
This question was more or so to help gain quantative/qualitative research. I wanted to see the relation of the consumers favourite music video, and how it relates to that particular song; 'What makes it memorable?'. One person said Beach House - Lemon Glow as they "liked the experimental approach to the visuals" which helps me with the experimental genre. This question in particular did not help me with any decision making in regards to the song I plan to choose/genre but in more visual conventions. I can watch some of these videos and maybe gain visual stimuli.

Pro's and Con's to the questionnaire:
I believe this questionnaire was definitely helpful in the decisions I couldn't make for myself, regarding song choices, video genre etc. It also allowed me to gain a lot of quantative and qualitative research from consumers. However, there were a few cons. Originally the questionnaire had 17 responses, but the responses were given were not serious and immature, which didn't help with my research. Another con was the lack of multiple choice on the website, despite clicking this option when setting up the questionnaire - I do not know whether this feature was genuinely lacking on the site, or whether it's myself not setting up correctly - this may have impacted my results as recipients may have been torn between 2/3 options.


Bibliography:

Christian Cawley, May 17th 2015, [online] MUO: Make Use Of 'From MTV to YouTube: A brief history of Music Videos. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mtv-youtube-brief-history-music-videos/

No comments:

Post a Comment