Wednesday 27 February 2019

TESTING 'COLOR KEY' PRESET ON PREMIERE PRO - IMITATION OF GREEN SCREEN


IMITATION OF GREEN SCREEN: PLANNING

Practicality is definitely a huge part I need to consider before producing my music video. Therefore in advance I decided to test out and think of ways I can use particular techniques without certain equipment. Therefore, I decided to test out the 'Color Key' tool that is available on Premiere, but instead of a Green Screen (which I do not have access to/the facility to use), I used the white backdrop in the Photography Studio. 

When setting up, I knew I had to be aware of the lighting situation as "It is really difficult to shoot green screen video. The goal is to have a flat background with no shadows"(Phil, 2019). I knew I had to be as accurate as possible when it came to lighting techniques, therefore, i used the three point setup, in order to avoid any additional shadows, where possible. When filming, I got a friend to be my subject, asked her to move around to see how well the effect will work in post production.

When editing, I followed a few steps.
The settings I used for the clip embedded above

Step 1. Import and select the chosen clip from the library onto the timeline (Video 2).
Step 2. Go into the Effects tab>Video Effects>Keying>Color Key, drag this onto the clip in the timeline.
Step 3. In Effect Controls, use the filter tool to select the background.
Step 4. Increase the capacity of each three sub-categories in the Effect Controls tab.
Step 5. Drag your chosen background clip/image and place this in Video 1 of the timeline.


Overall, I found that when shooting a close up, this will work perfectly fine, as long as there is minimal white within the scene. However, when shooting a mid-long shot, the effect can reveal more of the background - this can be an advantage and a disadvantage, allowing a more post-modern, purposeful approach, but also allowing the video quality to look poorer. I have to consider in preparation to filming that my subject is wearing nothing similar to the background colour. I am happy to continue using this, if a green screen isn't available when filming.


Bibliography:
Phil, Accessed 27th February 2019, [online] Video School Online - Green Screen: How to chroma key in Adobe Premiere Pro https://www.videoschoolonline.com/green-screen-how-to-chroma-key-in-adobe-premiere-pro/

No comments:

Post a Comment