Thursday 7 March 2019

PLANNING FOR MUSIC VIDEO: STUDIO SHOOT

As discussed in previous posts, I will be taking inspiration to film my music video in the photography studio at college, with the white background being keyed out in post production, in order to achieve an imitation of a green screen. As learnt from my Green Screen Key test, there are things I can do to prepare for my shoot, in regards to equipment, set up and lighting.

Following from the questionnaire, it became apparent that the two most popular music video genre's were Experimental/Conceptual and Studio Performance. These, hopefully will be hybridised successfully following post production, but in this particular shoot, I will be focusing mainly upon the studio performance aspect. My friend, Eve Miller has agreed to partake in being the performer of the video.

Package received from Boohoo
with Tea Dress.
In terms of mise-en scene, I have ordered Eve a Tea Dress to wear for the shoot from Boohoo.com, this is because I wanted to go for a post modern approach, and boohoo does this with their dresses successfully "It's all about the vintage this season and we're loving the modern day revamp of the 'it' dress of the '30s and '40s" (Boohoo, 2019), even though not reminiscent of the early 80's music video era, I feel this would be an interesting play upon merging different era's together, some reminiscent of the 50's, some of the 80's, some of modern day technology, you see this in many videos that incorporate a post modern approach - see: Love - Lana Del Rey (smartphones used in video, alongside shots of a 60's Chevrolet, with futuristic settings). The tea dress I have ordered in particular is black, with white hearts - I chose black so it would oppose with the white background, but I wanted to purposely have white specs in the dress so when I key out the background, some of the hearts may key out too, giving it a purposeful glitch, a convention with post modern videos, as they can often replicate the early advances of green screen technology, with the result becoming mostly good, but not looking realistic.

Eve's make up look for the music
video.
Hair Colour Spray I purchased
to avoid Eve's hair being keyed
out in post production
In regards to hair and make up, Eve's hair will be let down, as she has a shoulder length bob. What has worried me is that because her hair colour has been bleached platinum blonde, it will interfere with the keying out process of the white background, causing issues for the final product. As me and Eve work at the same workplace, which doesn't allow 'extreme' hair colours, I decided to pick up a 'one wash' hair colour spray in the shade 'rose blush' by the brand Schwarzkopf, rather than dealing with the commitment of dying her hair fully, with the benefit of not having to worry about the post production aspect of the video. Within makeup, I have asked Eve to sport this Blue eyeshadow look that I saw from one of her social media posts; using the Morphe X palette,  alongside a dark red lipstick. I decided to go with this look as of the song title itself, reinforcing the blue connotations to sadness - especially around her eyes; the red lipstick will connote towards the bittersweet melody of the song, with its upbeat tempo and sultry lyrics "give me love give me dreams" whilst speaking from sadness with "give me a good self esteem".

Within Camera and Lighting, I will be shooting with two camera set ups. One of these will be handheld filming mid-close up shots of the performer, whilst the other will be stationary, on a tripod filming mid-long shots.  The lighting will be the trickiest part to this as I need to ensure there is minimal to no shadows, therefore, I will be using the two main studio lights alongside a secondary portable studio light, all within a 1.5 metre distance to ensure the subject isn't over exposed. With this in mind, I don't believe I will need to use a majorly high ISO as I did in my Key Test (which was 3200), I will experiment on the day to see what will work. I plan to shoot 25fps, therefore my shutter speed will need to be 1/50. The aperture on the stationary camera will be F16, where as, the handheld camera will be F4/8, dependent on what works on the day.

We have booked the studio on Friday 8th March, from 12:15pm - 16:15pm, giving us 4 hours to prepare and shoot the music video. We have also booked an additional three hours the following week (Friday 15th March, 12:15pm - 15:15pm) to gather any additional shots that we may require.

In regards to health and safety, I have sent Eve a link to my health and safety in the Studio blogpost, as she is not a photography/media/film student; therefore she is aware on the rules and safety precautions that need to be taken in the environment.



Bibliography:
Boohoo, Accessed 28th February, 2019, [online] Boohoo.com, 'Tea Dresses' https://www.boohoo.com/womens/dresses/tea-dresses

No comments:

Post a Comment